The NYC Department of Homeless Services reports that there are an estimated 55,000 people who are homeless in NYC. 22,000 of them are children. Many of these people are waiting for a solution. For someone to respond. No one should have to sleep on a park bench, in a train station or under a bridge. The Legacy Center wants to respond. We’ve been called
On Tuesday, October 29th, we will join together with the folks in Breezy Point to commemorate the one year anniversary of Hurricane Sandy. Join us at 9am at the Breezy Point Co-Operative Activity Center 202-30 Rockaway Point Boulevard in Breezy Point. There will be a press conference then our volunteers will be helping the co-op put the finishing touches on the Sand Dunes that were built to
It’s been a while since we’ve posted an update. We’re so sorry about that. It’s been such an amazing year that it may take a few minutes to tell you about everything we’ve done this summer and what we have planned before the year is over.
Can I start by telling you how excited we are about all the things we get to do and how much we love that you get to do this with us? There is nothing like seeing faces of the people that we are serving light up when they come to the realization that their lives are about to change, for the better! There are too many people living in tough situations and they believe there’s no way out of the downward spiral they find themselves in. The good news is that your help, be it donations or volunteer hours, helps us help people stand on their own two feet so they can begin to walk and eventually run on their own!
In order for people to perform at their best, they need to be in the best position financially, physically, mentally & spiritually and that’s exactly what we are doing at TLC. Here are some of the highlights of 2013 so far:
- We’re Supplying the Future! To date, we’ve distributed 4,700 backpacks to elementary, middle and high school students all over NYC with a letter to mom & dad offering ongoing support. We had the privilege of hosting a Back to School Carnival for families in Far Rockaway, courtesy of our friends at Hand of Hope! You can see those carnival pictures here.
- We’re investing in our communities Health & Wellness! We’ve had over hundreds of people participate individually or as families in our counseling/mental health program, in addition to having over 350 families participating in our 2nd annual, two-day health fair in conjunction with our “Supply The Future” network of schools, Christ Tabernacle Bushwick (CTB), Novo Nordisk, Bushwick Food Market, The American Diabetes Association and many others. Students from our network of schools participated in our Olympic Event. If people are unhealthy, they can not work or go to school and this affects every area of their lives and the lives of their loved ones as it puts a heavy burden on the entire home. Our Health & Wellness programs are a major component at TLC, and we want to invest in healthy families in every aspect of the word! You can see pictures of our Health Fair here.
- The last GED session for this year kicks off this month at TLC. Sign up by emailing email@example.com or stop by the office Monday – Friday from 9am – 5pm for more information.
- Legacy Scholars: So far this year we’ve tutored and mentored approximately 72 students. We’re also working on getting High School students enrolled in College by helping them write their essays, complete applications and submit financial aid applications. We are positioning students to dream bigger and achieve more. We’re partnering with schools to help students accomplish their goals for the school year and to help parents understand how important their support is in their child’s success.
- We’re showing young moms how to Choose life! We’ve already started mentoring pregnant teen moms and young moms; helping them realize their life is not over. They can raise healthy, happy children and live abundant lives and we are helping them by providing resources like diapers and strollers, and doing life with them.
- We haven’t stopped providing Disaster Relief! It is nearly a year later since Hurricane Sandy ripped through the New York/New Jersey coastal lines and there’s still so much work to do. We have been working in some of the hardest hit neighborhoods since October 31st, distributing resources and supplies, helping people clean up, and we are still out there; we’re bringing people back home.
- We’re not rebuilding houses, we’re rebuilding homes and families! Over the past 9 months we have rebuilt eight homes in NY! It’s impossible to describe the enormous pleasure we have in walking through the door, hand in hand with homeowners that have just about given up hope, and revealing their newly renovated home to them. But we’re not done yet, we are still taking volunteers out on a regular basis to help homeowners clean up or pull back weeds and, we are currently rebuilding nine more homes! We’re helping families get back to normal routines. You can watch videos of our disaster relief efforts here and videos of our home makeovers here, here and here.
- So far this year, over 1200 volunteers from NYC, teams from NYSUM and NYACK College, folks from Omaha Nebraska, students from The Potters House in Texas and Major League Soccer administrators and countless others, have put in hundreds of volunteer hours to help us help others… we couldn’t have done all we’ve done without them and without you!
What’s ahead? YOU’RE INVITED!
- GRAND OPENING OF “THE STORE”!: On Monday, October 14th, we will be inaugurating “The Store” at our warehouse where people with limited resources can pick up some household items to give them that extra boost they need to provide for their families. This event will also put us in direct contact with the needs of the community and help us make a deeper impact in individual lives. Stop by and see what we’re up to — please join us for our Grand Opening between 11am and 1pm!
- PRE-CHRISTMAS ELVES: Our warehouse will be open every Friday from 12pm – 4pm for volunteers (aka Elves) who want to help set up bundles of hats, socks and gloves or wrap Christmas gifts or help out in the store. You join us and we’ll connect you with a project that will change lives! Our warehouse is located at 16-33 Centre Street (between Wyckoff and Cypress Ave).
- Breezy Point: We are putting the finishing touches on Elaine’s home in Breezy Point. She and her grandson will be returning home on October 29th. If you would like to join us in welcoming her home or you’d like to join us at a reception we are hosting for the one year anniversary of Hurricane Sandy please email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=Elaine’s House Reveal.
- Thanksgiving Meals & Groceries:On November 1st we’re going to start collecting canned goods at TLC’s office and warehouse to create bags of groceries for families in need of some help before the holidays. If you have a club, a lifegroup, or you want to support another family with your co-workers or your family you can do so as a team! We will give you TLC tote bags (last year’s gift bags pictured below) for you to fill with groceries and we will distribute them before Thanksgiving at “THE STORE“.
- In addition, on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28th, The Legacy Center will be heading out with volunteers to distribute hot Thanksgiving meals to those who don’t have one. If you’d like to sign up to prepare a meal let us know by calling our office (347-292-4852) or emailing email@example.com.
Christmas: The Legacy Center will be distributing toys for those in our programs, families in the Rockaway’s as well as holding a huge Santa’s workshop in Marcy Projects. Here’s a video of last year’s Christmas Winter Wonderland! You can participate by helping us sort and wrap donated gifts. The warehouse is open every Friday for volunteers from 12 – 4pm.
Hats, socks & glove drive - we will be delivering these items to all the children that received a back pack from us this year as we know many kids go to school without the proper attire, especially in the cold winter. If they are not healthy, they can’t go to school and learn. We want healthy families in every aspect of the word!
Thank you for standing with us and helping us help those that truly need it. We will do everything we can to build healthy individuals because we know that healthy people build healthy families which build healthy communities healthy societies.
Let’s DREAM BIG and do something to make those big dreams come true!
Every year The Legacy Center Community Development Corporation (TLC) partners with local schools and non profit organizations to provide backpacks and school supplies for elementary and middle school students whose families are in crisis or have found themselves temporarily struggling. In 2012 donors made it possible for us to give thousands of students* in 21 schools new backpacks and supplies. With your help we can
The Legacy Center Community Development Corporation (TLC) is organizing an afternoon of education and competition for students of some of TLC's Supply The Future partner schools from Bushwick and Ridgewood. The goal is to address childhood obesity and other life threatening diseases by providing education for both students and their parents, free resources and giveaways and activities geared toward children to keep them motivated to
The Legacy Center Community Development Corporation invites you to join us for the 2nd Annual David Tyree Charity Bowl with the New York Giants. Bowl and mingling with your favorite football team. The evening will include hors d’oeuvres and cocktails, refreshments, a silent and live auction and bowling! Your support will allow TLC to continue changing the landscape of our community and legacies for generations
This Christmas we knew we'd have to do something for the children affected by Hurricane Sandy. This would require a lot of planning…What could we do? Where? How many toys would we need and how many volunteers would it take? There were lots of questions to ask but It all seemed to come together really well when our friends from God's Pit Crew, Spirit
The Legacy Center would not be the success it is without the tireless efforts of our volunteers. TLC’s volunteers leave a legacy that is unmatched. Sign up below to support a long term program or one of our projects. We invite you to join us at one of our quarterly volunteer orientation. Our next volunteer breakfast orientation and celebration will be held on January 26th at
From friends of The Legacy Center: Our mission for this event is to raise money, get supplies and anything that can help anyone who has been affected by Hurricane Sandy in the NY/LI area. We are Skate for Jesus and we knew we had to respond to what was We will be donating all proceeds to The Legacy Center(www.tlcnyc.org) who have been working extremely
“Stand up, on this Thanksgiving Day, stand upon your feet. Believe in man. Soberly and with clear eyes, believe in your own time and place. There is not, and there never has been a better time, or a better place to live in.” learn portuguese online ~Phillips Brooks As many of you know The Legacy Center, in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, led the