TLC custom designs programs to meet the specific needs of the community at large. We offer Educational Programs specially designed to support school age students from Elementary Ed through College and programs for adults who are looking for the skills they need to be better parents and adults that can contribute to their community.
At TLC, we know that investing in our community is vital if we want to see transformation. To that end we have partner with local schools and other non-profit agencies to launch the following:
To that end TLC offers the following programs and initiatives:
- Warehouse Program - relief resources are stored and distributed through our warehouse.
- Supply The Future - students are equipped with the materials and resources need to be successful in school. TLC maintains a unique partnership with NYC Elementary and Middle schools to ensure that Supply The Future is making an impact in students lives. We do so by providing students with new backpacks at the beginning of the school year, offering NY State test prep tutoring in the winter and, by hosting an enrichment program at the end of the summer in an effort to prepare students for another school year.
- Health & Wellness - Physical and emotional health are critical in ensuring one’s overall success therefore, at TLC, we host an annual health fair for the community and offer behavioral counseling at our office. Participants facing trying times are given an opportunity to engage in one-on-one conversation and counseling with licensed professionals in a private setting.
- Choose Life - one of the biggest issues plaguing some communities in NY is the idea that individuals can’t be more than their parents were or that they can’t fulfill their dreams. At TLC mentors, peer counselors and a team of professionals are developing individualized plans for program participants. The goal is to empower participants to identify their dreams, to equip them with the tools they need to be successful and connect them with educational opportunities so that they are intentionally pursuing their life dreams.
- Happy Holidays - Happy Holidays is a series of event based initiatives designed to foster a sense of community, belonging, and hope during the holidays. Events include celebrations at local family shelters, hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner at a local community center and bringing Christmas gifts to children of incarcerated parents during the holidays.The goal is to bring the community together; letting them know that they don’t have to spend the holidays alone because together we can make the holidays happy.
- Disaster Relief - On the night of October 29th the city seemed unprepared for the devastation they would wake up to on the shores of NYC on October 30th. The Legacy Center became the first organization to respond to the needs of hurting New Yorkers when its first truck was deployed to Far Rockaway on Wednesday, October 31st. TLC continues to provide resources, assistance with clean up efforts and in the process of rebuilding homes. Because NYC is our hometown, the staff at TLC is committed to continue to deploy volunteers and resources into the communities affected by Superstorm Sandy.